Back to the Future. Super Mario Bros. CAN WA.
What do all these things have in common? We’re all celebrating our 30th anniversary!
From delivering thousands of life changing workshop programs; to funding hundreds of diverse creative community projects and artists right across the state. Community Arts Network WA (CAN WA) has been at the leading edge of arts and cultural development for the past three decades.
Throughout its history, CAN WA’s vision has been for a just, diverse and resilient society fuelled by imagination and creativity.
“We believe that art transforms communities. We’ve seen it first hand in the outcomes of our projects. The sense of pride and achievement that comes from being given the opportunity to participate and express creativity and a sense of place and belonging.” Said Pilar Kasat, CAN WA Managing Director.
Last year alone, CAN WA saw more than 200 artists employed across the state, to help more than 5000 people create local and relevant art, to an audience of more than 217 000.
To mark 30 years of service to community arts and cultural development, CAN WA will be holding a special celebration at the King Street Art Centre on Thursday July 30.
Entertainment will be provided by award winning Motown act The Merindas and Perth hip hop artist Scott ‘MC Optamus’ Griffiths of Downsyde fame. There will also be workshop displays and the unveiling of a big surprise – a new look and logo!
CAN WA FUN FACTS
- CAN WA is the last of the national community arts network organisations in Australia.
- CAN WA has supported the careers of some of WA’s favourite artists, including Stormie Mills, Jahn Rees, Nalda Searles, Sharyn Egan and Gina Williams.
- CAN WA has three offices – Perth, Kellerberrin and Narrogin.
- CAN WA is a registered training organisation and its Community Engagement and Cultural Planning course is the only one of its kind in Australia.
- CAN WA’s team has more than 200 (check!) years combined experience in arts and cultural development!
If you’ve received an invitation to our birthday celebrations and you’ve not RSVP’d – it’s not too late. Contact email@example.com or phone 9226 2422